Impact of Cyber Threats to Nuclear Facility
Keywords:Cyber, Threat, Security
International community has been traditionally focusing on physical threats to facilities and pass by the threat of a cyber attack on a facility. All the same, due to the growing threat posed by cyber attacks; cyber security is becoming indispensable component of nuclear facilities and it is setting up itself as a main concern for facility operators and national regulators. Consequently, ensuring the security of nuclear facilities is a considerable element, which gears at avoiding theft of nuclear materials and sabotage. For that reason, this paper was set to examine impact of cyber threats to nuclear facility. Specifically, the paper has examined cyber threats, cyber threats to nuclear facility, impact of cyber threats to nuclear facility. It is concluded that cyber threat to nuclear facility is growing despite numerous effort taken to offset the problem. Thus, there is a need either to design or improve available cyber threat mitigation procedure in order to tone down the problem.
• Ambroz Milan (2012). Security Culture Impact on Security Excellence in a Company”. Innovative Issues and Approaches in Social Sciences, vol.5, no.1:70-87, DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.12959/issn.1855-0541.IIASS-2012-no1-art06
• Boulanin, V and White, T.O (2014). Cyber Threats and Nuclear Dangers. http://cnnd.anu.edu.au
• Cardenas, A.A; Amin, S, Lin, Z.S; Huang, Y.L; Huang, C.Y and Sastry, S (2011). Attacks Against Process Control Systems: Risk Assessment, Detection, and Response.
• Dagoumas A. (2019). Assessing the Impact of Cyber security Attacks on Power Systems. www.mdpi.com/journal/energies (Site visited on 11/6/2020).
• Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (2017). Civil nuclear cyber security strategy. www.gov.uk/beis (Site visited on 13/6/2020).
• DHS. 2009. Roadmap for Cybersecurity Research. Department of Homeland Security. [Internet]. Accessed 15 July 2013. Available from: www.cyber.st.dhs.gov/docs/DHSCybersecurity-Roadmap.pdf
• Dilipraj, E (2019). Challenges of Cyber Security to Nuclear Infrastructure. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333420287.
• Donovan, J (2015). IAEA’s Amano Calls for Strengthened Computer Security in a Nuclear World,” IAEA, 01 June 2015, URL: https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/iaea % E2 % 80 %99s-amano-calls-strengthened-computer-security-nuclear-world, accessed on 24 June 2020.
• ENISA (2013). Smart Grid Threat Landscape and Good Practice Guide. 2013. https://www.enisa.europa.eu/publications/smart-grid-threat-landscape-and-good-practice-guide (Site visited on 8/6/ 2020).
• Gartze, E and Jon R. Lindsay (2017). Thermonuclear Cyber war”, Journal of Cybersecurity, 3(1), 2017, pp. 37-47.
• Hoard, B (2017). 8M cell phones will be lost in ’07 – how to back yours up, Computerworld, Jul. 2007
• International Atomic Energy Agency (2016). Conducting Computer Security Assessments at Nuclear Facilities. http://www.iaea.org/books.
• International Panel on Fissile Materials (2015). Global Fissile Material Report 2015: Nuclear Weapon and Fissile Material Stockpiles and Production.
• ISO/IEC 27005 (2011). Information technology — Security techniques — Information security risk management (second edition), Int’l Org. Standardization, 2007. Available:http://www.iso27001security.com/html/27005.html.
• Jaccard, J.J; Nepal, S and Guo, J. Y (2013). Cybersecurity threats in cloud computing. Australian Journal of Telecommunications and The Digital Economy, 1 (1):4.1 - 4.17.
• Morris, T and Wei G (2013). Industrial Control System Cyber Attacks. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/336586158.
• Nye, Jr., Joseph S. (2011). Nuclear Lessons for Cyber Security? Strategic Studies Quarterly 5(4): 18-38.
• Ossip, S.M (2017). Cyber threats and cybercrime – a disruption of human security? Master of Arts in International Relations, Leiden University.
• Quevenco, R., (2015). Secure Computer Systems Essential to Nuclear Security, Conference Finds, IAEA Office of Public Information and Communication, https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/secure-computer-systems-essential-nuclearsecurity-conference-finds
• Rudner, M. (2013). Cyber-threats to critical national infrastructure: An intelligence challenge. International Journal of Intelligence and Counter Intelligence, 26(3), 453-481.
• Samani, R., and Mcfarland, C., (2015). Hacking the Human Operating System: The Role of Social Engineering Within Cyber security," McAfee Incorporated, http://www.mcafee.com/de/resources/reports/rp-hacking-human-os.pdf
• Schreier, F (2015). On Cyberwarfare”, 2015, URL: https://www.dcaf.ch/sites/default/files/ publications/documents/OnCyberwarfare-Schreier.pdf, 25 February 2020.
• Yan, G., Chen, G., Eidenbenz, S., & Li, N. (2011). Malware propagation in online social networks: nature, dynamics, and defense implications. In Proceedings of the 6th ACM Symposium on Information, Computer and Communications Security (pp. 196-206). ACM.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Erasto Kayumbe, Lucy Michael
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The articles published in International Journal of Computer and Information Technology (IJCIT) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.